Welcome to Human Potential’s Fat Ass Series
The “Fat Ass” is a tradition within the sport of ultra running that dates back to the late 1970s. Traditionally they have been known to operate under the moniker of “No Fees. No Awards. No Aid. No Wimps.” You’ll find just that here.
To learn more about the history of Fat Ass Runs, please CLICK HERE.
We’ve worked hard to create a series of winter training runs that allow runners of all abilities to come out and enjoy some challenging runs while affording them a taste (as big or as small a bite as you’d like) of trail and ultrarunning. At the Human Potential Fat Ass Series, your speed does not matter.. only your internal desire to face adversity does. How many or few miles you run on a Fat Ass weekend is entirely up to you. When you run, where you run, and whom you run with is also entirely up to you. We hope the structure of the Fat Ass Series helps you learn something about yourself, about each other, and even affords you the chance to meet new running friends.
For further questions and inquiries please email: info@HumanPotentialRunning.com
The Finer Details:
Human Potential (HP) has pre-scheduled 9 Fat Ass Weekends that start in November and run through April.
Those Dates are as follows:
1: November 4th & 5th, 2017
2: November 25th & 26th, 2017
3: December 9th & 10th, 2017 (*Bad Ass Weekend*)
~Traditional Holiday Break~
4: January 6th & 7th, 2018
5: January 27th & 28th, 2018 (*Bad Ass Weekend*)
6: February 10th & 11th, 2018
7: March 3rd & 4th, 2018 (*Bad Ass Weekend*)
8: March 17th & 18th, 2018
9: April 7th & 8th, 2018
• HPRS members can register for each Fat Ass by clicking the date you’d like to register for in the list above. The registration page is password protected, and the password you’ll use is included in your official membership welcome email. You’ll have until 6pm of the Thursday preceding the Fat Ass to register.
• At 6pm on the Thursday leading into Fat Ass Weekend, we’ll email the options for that weekend’s fat assery to those who have registered.
• We will provide you with 2 or 3 different run options for the weekend. Each of those options will be in a different location.
(Ex: Option 1 – Golden; Option 2 – Boulder, Option 3 – Fort Collins)
• We will also provide you with the points available per mile for each location, on each day.
(Ex: Option 1 – Golden @ 1pt per mile, Option 2 – Boulder @ 2pts per mile. Saturday Run for Full Points. Sunday Run for Half Points)
• Each option will come with a map, a .gpx file for tech types, and turn-by-turn directions for each run as available.
• We’ll also host a few “BAD ASS weekends,” where you have the option to run either of the options on Saturday, and either of the options on Sunday. This is a chance to earn extra points plus 25 bonus points just for being a Bad Ass (A minimum of 13 miles on each day is required for bonus points)
How Do I Earn Points Exactly?
There is a bit of a process we all need to commit to in order to make the point system work. There’s some work on your end and some work on our end. The better we work together, the easier it will be to make the wheels turn and to ensure we all have a great time. Here’s the process..
1. You’ll need to wear a gps watch for your Fat Ass Run. At the end of your run, go home and upload your gps track data to any one of the popular run-tracking websites (Strava, Garmin Connect, Map My Run, RunKeeper, etc… We highly prefer that you use Strava!)
2. Once you upload your data, whatever online platform you use should generate a page with a sharable link for others to see your data.
2. You’ll then want to send an email to us at info@HumanPotentialRunning.com with your First Name, Last Name, and the link to the page generated by the tracking site. You’ll have until Noon on Tuesday immediately following Fat Ass Weekend to submit your track or you will forfeit your points! Don’t forget! Don’t Delay!
3. We’ll match your track up to our official track for the weekend’s run. You will receive the appropriate points for every single mile you ran identical to the route provided by HP (rounded to the nearest 1/4 mile). In other words.. if you get lost and run bonus miles, Congrats! But you don’t get extra points for those bonus miles. If you ran an errant loop, missing 3 miles of the actual route for the day, you will lose out on the 3 points associated with those miles you missed, unless of course you figure out a way to run those miles before continuing on.
4. HP will maintain a “Fat Ass Points Tracker” in a Google Drive folder. Once we tabulate your points for the weekend, we will update your total points in the tracker.
What Can I Do With My Points?
Increase Your HPRS Entry Fee Discount
Accrue 125 Points = Increase your HPRS Race Entry discount to 15% off for Crew Members Only
Accrue 250 Points = Increase your HPRS Race Entry discount to 20% off for Crew and Adversity Members Only
Accrue 450 Points = Increase your HPRS Race Entry discount to 25% off for Crew and Adversity Members Only
Add Points To Your Adversity Cup Total
Accrue 125 Points = 5 Points towards the Adversity Cup
Accrue 250 Points = 10 Points towards the Adversity Cup
Accrue 450 Points = 15 Points towards the Adversity Cup
Win An Age Group Award
HP will award one (1) Comp race entry, to any 2018 HPRS Race of your choice, to the first place winner in each age group
HP will award one (1) 50% off code, to any 2018 HPRS Race Entry Fee of your choice, to the second place finisher in each age group
HP will raffle off one (1) 50% off code, to any 2018 HPRS Race Entry Fee of your choice, to one of the 3rd place age group finishers
Age groups will be divided as follows:
Male <30, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+
Female <30, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+
What If I Don’t Live In Colorado?
We welcome everyone from all over the country to join us this Fat Ass Season. We have included a “National” tab on the Fat Ass Points Tracker Page as well. Those wishing to participate on the National level are still required to purchase an HPRS Membership at the Crew or Adversity Level in order to be scored.
As Fat Ass Weekend approaches, you’ll want to email HP (by Wednesday at the latest) to provide us with your Fat Ass run plan for the weekend. There are two ways in which you can participate:
1. You provide HPRS with a gps track of the route you intend to run during the upcoming weekend. We’ll will take your track and look at its merits for level of overall challenge, and pending conditions, in order to provide you with how many points we’ll give you for your proposed run. Like in Colorado your run will be worth either 1 or 2 points regardless of the day you intend to run.
2. Send us a link to, or information for, another Fat Ass taking place in your local area. We’ll take the track for the upcoming Fat Ass and look at its merits for level of overall challenge, and conditions, in order to provide you with how many points we’ll give you for your run. Like in Colorado your run will be worth 1 or 2 points regardless of the day you intend to run.
National Members will also be eligible for the same awards/rewards/benefits as Colorado Fat Ass Runners. We’ll divide the national Fat Assers up by age group so that we may present the same awards, and you can also accrue points for higher HPRS Discounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
We know you have some and we want to give you the answers. We also have some fine print to provide. Just click the button below to go to our FA FAQ Page and find the smoldering answers to your burning questions.