FAT ASS SERIES FAQ
Q: Do I have to be a member to attend a Fat Ass Run?
A: Nope. You only need to be a member to receive the run info directly from HP. You only need to be a member if you want to benefit from discounts, or if you simply want to be a member. Come on out and run! Just hope ya’ know someone who knows where to go!
Q: So, why would I pay to become a member if I don’t need to be a member to run?
A: The easiest question for us to answer… in essay form. Paying to be a member pays for itself. Think about it. If you pay for the $20 membership and you receive 10-20% off at various local running retailers, plus 15% off at RunningWarehouse.com. Just buy one pair of shoes, and use your discount, and your membership paid for itself. On top of that, you get 10% off HPRS Race Entry Fees as a member. Sign up for a race, use your discount on a pair of shoes.. membership has now more than paid for itself. Crew and Adversity Members get to enjoy the Fat Ass Series plus they pick up some extra shwag. Pay a little more money, be involved, train and run with us… you could earn a higher race entry fee discount.
How about we ask you, “why wouldn’t you pay to become a member?” If you don’t care for the points and the discounts then hey, best of luck to ya!
Q: I don’t have a gps watch or don’t know how to work that new-fangled computer thingy everyone is talking about. Can I still participate as a member and accrue points?
A: Yes, and this is where it gets tricky. We’ll defer to the old school method known as “word of honor.” We’ll need to see photos (more than one) of you out there with another paying member who has submitted their own GPS track for the run in order to score you. We ask that you please honestly tell us who you joined and how many miles of the actual route you ran. We’ll take your word for it, and take it from there. Those caught taking advantage of this method of point accrual are subject to membership termination and a lifetime ban. Please don’t be a tool. Be honest! You’re not cheating the system. You’re cheating yourself and the other runners. Harrumph!
Q: Can I run a Fat Ass Route on a day other than the upcoming Saturday and/or Sunday and still accrue points? Can I run a race somewhere this weekend and accrue points towards the Fat Ass Series?
A: No and No
Q: If I start my run at 11:57pm on Saturday, what day does my run count for?
A: Sunday. Seriously folks.. it’s not rocket science so let’s not make it rocket science. If you want to be a wise guy and give us a wise guy hard time, expect a wise guy hard time back. If you start your run at 11:57p on Saturday, your run took place on Sunday. No, you cannot accrue whole points for running 3 hours of the route on Saturday and then half points for the remainder of your run on Sunday. If you get into playing this little game with us, we’ll play a little game back. Be a reasonable human and we will be too!
Q: The Fat Ass registration pages are password protected, how do I get the password to sign up for a Fat Ass?
A: When someone registers to be an HPRS Member, they’ll receive a welcome email that includes the password to be used for registering for Fat Asses. This password is for paying HPRS Members only, and sharing this password with any non-member for any reason is grounds for membership termination, and other possible bans. You do not need to be a member to attend, nor do you need to register to attend. If you’re not a member, just show up with a member, no registration required!
Q: I don’t like the two options provided to us for the upcoming Fat Ass Weekend, can I run a different route instead? Can I invite other runners to join me instead?
A: Sure, knock yourself out! We hope you have a blast elsewhere. We’ll only be accruing points for one of the options we’ve provided you though. We hope you will invite others to join you on your run. Community is what this is all about! Please do acknowledge that it will be your run, your rules, your liability, your risk, and no points. We’re cool if you’re cool.
Q: Can I bring my dog?
A: We ask that you please leave your dog at home if you can. Look… We know you love Fido, and we’re sure that Fido is just perfect. But not everyone likes Fido and not everyone wants to meet Fido. Some folks have very serious anxiety issues around dogs. Let’s just be mindful of everyone out there and leave Fido behind.
Q: What about Aid?
A: What about it? Ok ok.. Hey, Aid is now up to you. Yes, in year’s past HPRS has had some epic Aid Stations at our Fat Asses. They were the thing of legend and now, they are just that.. legend. For a variety of reasons we can no longer provide these stations at our Fat Ass Runs. The best thing for you to do is organize your own aid drop for the run. Find a place on the map you’re comfortable hiding your own water and snacks then make it happen prior to the run! Otherwise you’ll want a plan for melting snow, or finding water to filter.. or not.
Q: One of this weekend’s Fat Ass routes is point to point, how do we manage that?
A: You can use the various online tools at your disposal to meet new folks and arrange some carpooling! Seriously though, we’ll help. On the point-to-point runs we’ll have a spreadsheet in the google drive to help set up a carpool or carspot. Where necessary we’ll suggest which bus to take. You can also get on Facebook and go to the Front Range Ultrarunners Facebook Group (hosted by HPRS) and create a post for carpoolers. They’ll respond!
Q: I can’t run the full Fat Ass Route, what do I do? Can I run some on Saturday and some on Sunday?
A: You can run as many or as few miles as you’d like. You can run them all, walk them all, crawl them all, or other. The adventure is entirely up to you. So use your noodle and make a judgement call based on your own abilities. We won’t judge! In terms of the second question… One Day. One Route. One chance at the available accrued points. You can only accrue points from two-days back-to-back on Bad Ass Weekends. So choose where you run, and when you run, or which day you actually submit for points wisely!
The Fine Print For The Human Potential Fat Ass Series
• HPRS Fat Asses are not races and HPRS Races are not Fat Asses. Please know the difference.
• The HPRS Membership Fee is NOT an entry fee into the Fat Ass Series of Runs. The Membership fee pays for itself in race and retailer discounts alone. The membership fee also pays for the administrative backend of maintaining a point system for Fat Ass Runs, and the administration of providing runners with information on where to run. These Fat Ass Runs are training routes open to you, your guests and total strangers alike, free of charge.
• HP will not be providing any aid at any of the Fat Ass Runs. Should a runner wish to hide aid out on the route prior to the Fat Ass Run, you are welcome to do so.. at your own risk, on your own time, at a location you yourself chose. HP is not at all responsible for any items lost or stolen at any point, at any place, at any time, during Fat Ass Weekend.
• Because the Fat Ass Runs are not races, you will not find a finish line, a timing clock, awards, shirts, bibs, a volunteer, or any other miscellaneous “thing” that you would likely find at an official race. Please don’t show up looking for those things, you won’t find them here.
• A GPS Watch is not required to accrue points in the series. Please see the FAQ page for more information.
• Purchase is not necessary to participate in the Fat Ass runs. Again, you will need to know a member, or another 3rd party, in order to obtain the information. Only paying HPRS Members are eligible to accrue points and to take advantage of HPRS member discounts. Otherwise, these Fat Ass Runs are open to all.
• Bonus miles are not eligible as bonus points. Only miles run, IDENTICAL to the FA route for the weekend, will count towards your point total. Miles run beyond the official route for the run do not count towards point totals. One course, one day, one pre-determined set of points available.
• HP will host 2-3 Bad Ass Weekends per Fat Ass Season. Each runner can accrue points from one course, on one day… then accrue points on the same, or other, course on the second day. Do not overcomplicate the process. You pick ONE Course on day one and earn the pre-determined points for that course on that day. You pick ONE course on day two and earn the predetermined points for that course on the second day. HP will add 25 Bonus points to your total just for running two days in a row, regardless of how many or few miles you run, providing you submit the required proof of your doing so.
• Bad Ass Weekend Points are only available on Bad Ass Weekends. On all other weekends only one run, on one day, will be scored towards your point total. Runner’s must run at least 13 miles on each day in order for Bad Ass points to count.
• The map provided to you prior to Fat Ass Weekend is for rudimentary navigational purposes only. It is entirely up to the runner to know how to read and use a map, and HP is not liable for operator error. HP is also not liable for any and all errors on the map provided including but not limited to: trail closures, trail reroutes, trails no longer in existence, and trails not visible due to deep snow. It is the runner’s responsibility to know the route, and any and all challenges they may face. If the map provided is not enough, you are encouraged to buy or download a map for the local areas as available.
• No Fat Ass Route will be marked by HP; be it by ribbon, flour, paint, signage or other. Any runner marking a FA Route for any reason will have their HPRS Membership terminated, and you will be banned from all future HPRS Races and Events. DO NOT MARK THE ROUTE! Anyone caught marking a route will be reported, immediately, to the appropriate land manager and authorities for vandalism.
• Runs completed on a non-Fat Ass Weekend will not be scored. Races or runs not associated with HP Fat Ass Weekend will not be scored.
• Guests/Friends/Non-Members who participate in a Fat Ass Run and decide they’d like to become a member, have until 5pm on the Tuesday immediately following Fat Ass Weekend to become a paying member of HPRS in order for that weekend’s run to count towards their point total. All non-members forfeit their potential points after 5pm on the following Tuesday. If you sign up as a member at 5:01p on Tuesday and then ask for your points to count, the answer will be a vehement no.
• HP Members have until Noon on the Tuesday Immediately Following Fat Ass Weekend to submit their gps track for point accrual. No exceptions will be made.
• HP is not responsible for your watch battery dying during the run. Whatever track you submit is what we’ll score. Make sure your GPS Watch is charged and ready to go! Yes, we know watches glitch.. we’ll work with you if you’ll work with us. Just be kind.
• HP Members who participate in the Fat Ass Series are bound by all rules, regulations, and fine print associated with HPRS Membership, and all HPRS Policies. Violation of any HPRS rule, regulation, or items detailed in the fine print subject the runner to membership termination and an appropriate ban from HPRS if need be. Just use common sense, be respectful, leave your dogs at home, and everything will be just fine!